What We Do
We help women make informed decisions about where, how and with whom to birth and ensure that they have access to the full range of birth options. CiC constantly strives to improve maternity care across the country and to ensure that the birth of each child is treated with the reverence that it deserves.
Our educational projects are developed to provide women all around the country with information about their rights and options in childbearing. These projects include:
• The Guide to a Healthy Birth: A free publication for parents
• Healthy Birth Choices Workshop: Free informational workshops in New York City
• The Business of Being Born Educational DVD: A documentary film geared toward collegiate classroom audiences
CiC engages in various communications and outreach activities to increase awareness about maternity care issues. In conjunction with the New York City Chapter of American College of Nurse-Midwives, CiC co-hosts the annual Miles for Midwives celebration in Brooklyn which brings together diverse community members to raise awareness about midwifery and women’s health.
CiC is also dedicated to spreading the word about Mother-Friendly care, supporting Mother-Friendly Care Providers, and connecting families with care providers who share theses philosophies. Some of our outreach projects include:
• The Mother-Friendly Provider Network: An online national database of mother-friendly care providers
• Partnerships: Working with a variety of organizations to further our shared mission
• Miles for Midwives: An annual event to increase awareness about midwifery
CiC actively responds to current issues in the field to advocate for women’s rights and options in childbirth. Some of our past advocacy projects include:
Alice laboring in shower © Shara Frederick